Work out regularly? Eating all the "right" things? Using natural skincare and still not getting the results you're looking for? Well, you may not be listening to your gut. Literally. Anna from Gorgeous Gut visits us this month to talk about the importance of something many of us have never even heard about.
Get to feeling, looking, and knowing what it really takes to be your best. Inside & out.
The Skinny on Gorgeous Gut Health
You may be eating a rockstar healthy diet, exercising regularly, sleeping eight hours a night, managing stress, doing everything right - but if you haven’t addressed your poor gut health, you may be (unknowingly) sabotaging all of your hard work.
Your gut is so much more than your digestive system or intestinal tract. It isn’t the sexiest topic, but it is vital to vibrant health and the key to your overall well-being. In fact, your gut is referred to as your second brain.
Roughly 100 trillion living bacteria thrive in your gut. That's more than 10 times the number of cells you have in your entire body. And maintaining the optimal ratio of good bacteria (probiotics) to bad bacteria is rapidly gaining acknowledgement as perhaps the single most important step you can take to protect your health.
There are hundreds of studies linking insufficient probiotic levels to numerous negative health issues. So the first step to getting healthy - body, mind and spirit - is healing your gut.
Here is what you need to know in order to jumpstart gorgeous gut health in your life:
- Probiotics support healthy digestion, and healthy stress responses too.
- When your gut bacteria are out of balance, conditions such as constipation, irritable bowel syndrome, and diarrhea may arise. Stress not only is a major cause of bacterial imbalance, but it triggers inflammation and disrupts the intestinal lining, which increases the amount of bacteria toxins circulating throughout your body. Probiotics (found in specific fermented foods and supplements) reverse the effects of gut bacterial imbalance caused by stress and other lifestyle factors.
- A healthy gut creates healthy cravings.
- Bad bacteria and other microbes thrive on sugars, processed foods and unhealthy fats. However good bacteria feed on living and nutrient dense foods like vegetables in order to survive. Researchers are quickly figuring out that our bacteria may be capable of manipulating our behavior and our appetite for their own survival.
- A healthy gut stores less body fat.
- Bad bacteria in the gut determine whether you gain weight or lose weight. If you have more bad bacteria than good, you extract more calories from the food and store as them fat. In addition, this creates toxins that damage the intestinal lining and trigger inflammation. By restoring your gut with probiotics, you help to lower inflammation, crowd out bad bacteria and store fat as necessary.
- 80% of the body’s immune system is in the gut.
- The immune system comes into play when foreign materials such as incompletely digested foods, toxic chemicals or organisms get through loose junctions in the intestinal lining. If the immune system detects a surface with a threatening code, it releases weapons and recruits other immune system cells to attack the foreign surface as a way to defend you and survive. The body goes into full defense mode, causing systemic inflammation, which leads to many of the chronic diseases in the world today.
- Your skin is a mirror of your gut.
- You have 2-3 lbs of bacteria living in our body. When the wrong bacteria and yeast dominate your gut microbiome, they start secreting toxins as they digest food. Your body quickly becomes a sewer of toxic waste. With your skin being the largest channel of elimination, blemishes and other skin conditions can be a good indication your detoxification pathways are clogged and your gut is inflamed.
My Gorgeous Gut health coaching programs will support you in following these simple guidelines so that you can finally achieve and maintain your ideal health.
Unlock the healthiest version of you, as fast as possible, and be prepared to take on your healthiest year like never before!
Live from your gut,
image rights: http://www.chiropractorsbend.com/img/gut-health.jpg